Linking back to Feed Your Fiction Addiction, and to It Starts At Midnight who host the 2015 Discussion Post challenge.
My Discussion Topic This Week - What keeps you coming back to the same blogs?
Okay, so this question is partly because I'm just really curious if people answer the same as me, but it's also partly selfish. Your answers may help me be a better blogger, which is always something I'm striving for. So let me give you my opinion, and then I'd like to hear yours.
So blogs I really love are ones that I don't just follow, but ones where I make sure to read every single post that they put up. If they happen to post something one day that I'm not that interested in, I'll still skim it at least. For all other blogs, I skim through the whole list of what's posted to all of them and then I'll pick and choose which posts I read based on what catches my eye. Obviously, I'm still reading these blogs, but there's still that small select few that I never miss a single post. So what makes me do that for one and not the others? I follow a lot of blogs, so, besides time being a factor where I can't possibly read every post from the 500 blogs I follow, what makes a blog super special to me? Here are a few of my own thoughts:
- A blog has managed to make everything, even their reviews, different than everyone else's
- A friendly blogger. There are some bloggers who comment on my blog frequently. Not every day, but frequently. And they don't just comment to my meme features. They comment on my reviews and discussion posts too.
- A helpful blogger - not just friendly, but willing to chat with me a little about things of interest, giving me tips, asking for tips, talking books, etc.
- If I visit their blog and comment, they reply on their blog.
- A blog with at least one interesting and unique feature. For instance, I found a blog not too long ago that does a feature where instead of listing books they thought were good and interesting, with covers, they post quotes from the book, and you have to click on the link to find out what book it is. I love this because those quotes hook me. I get to see inside the book before I buy. I found this blog and immediately added it via email subscription so I can catch every post.
- Blog tours sites or ones participating in blog tours. I find a lot of great new books through those, plus I find giveaways, and I find blog tours for myself to participate in.
When I say neat, unique features in item four above though, don't get me wrong. That doesn't mean I think everyone needs to come up with their own meme. Just something they post each week or month that makes them unique and appeals to something that appeals to me.
So what about you? What makes a blog one of your favorites?